My client is a leading large scale industrial Supply Chain and Distribution facility based near Newcastle upon Tyne. Reporting to the Head of Health & Safety, my client seeks a HSEQ Specialist to join the team and provide support & guidance on all aspects of health, safety, environment and quality throughout the organisation and ensure compliance with relevant legislation.
Provide direct support to Business Area Manager / Supervisor / Team Leader in identifying and addressing HSEQ risks and impacts, and provide guidance on appropriate mitigation measures.
- Provide HSEQ support / guidance to all staff
- Act as Business Area focal point for Safety and Environmental Champions and Safety Reps.
- Act as Business Area focal point for occupational HSEQ topics including but not limited to; noise at work; control of emissions, working at height, control of substances hazardous to health; manual handling; safe use of personal protective equipment, confined space entry, health and wellbeing.
- Undertake regular site visits supporting and promoting the Zero Harm vision, HSEQ coaching and the implementation of behavioral safety approaches
- Assist in the development and review of HSEQ Management Systems, Safe Systems of Work, Risk Assessments and KPIs where appropriate.
- Promote compliance with regulatory health and safety and environmental requirements, developing and driving health and safety and environmental related campaigns and programs to support continual improvement.
- Undertake inspections and audits of premises, plant, equipment, working arrangements and practices to establish the effectiveness of health and safety policies and procedures.
- Participate in Business Area HSEQ meetings providing advice and guidance as required.
- Investigate and report on incidents, dangerous occurrences and injuries at work recommending any remedial measures to prevent a recurrence and ensure statutory notifications to enforcing authorities are completed.
- Monitor and analyse relevant statistics and produce key business indicators to identify any trends and actions.
- Liaise with the Health and Safety Executive, insurance companies and other enforcing bodies on all matters related to the position.
- Assist Business Areas in ensuring compliance at all stages of major construction projects, including at tender stages.
- Assist in the selection and approval of contractors and sub-contractors and monitor their performance through observation, audit and inspection.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of the Quality Management System.
- Provide support for other HSEQ Specialists with respect to Skills Matrix.
- Deputise for HSEQ Specialists and HSEQ Manager during periods of leave / absence.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a leading regional employer and play an integral role in the safe running of a large-scale industrial site’s HSEQ function. To be considered for the role, it is essential that you possess demonstrable experience in a Quality, Health, Safety & Environment role ideally gained in a large-scale industrial setting.
Key selection criteria:
- Ideally Degree qualified (HNC in a relevant subject as a minimum)
- NEBOSH Diploma or Level 6 qualification
- Chartered (or working towards) membership of a relevant HSEQ body e.g. IOSH
- Full/associate member of IEMA
- Experience of implementing and promoting an effective Health & Safety culture
- Experience of developing and implementing policy
- Health & Safety inductions and training expertise
- QMS management expertise
- Certified auditor status in 9000/14000/18000 family
- Excellent communication skills
- Project management expertise
- Full driving license